When I was recently asked why so many people hold up Ronald Reagan as a standard of a great conservative president, I was a bit taken aback. I could think of a multitude of reason for why they SHOULD NOT, but that was not the question. Why DO they hold him up as the consummate conservative?
No doubt, the majority of the country has no personal memory of his presidency. They rely upon what they have been told or what they have read or what they have seen on some electronic media. But why have they been indoctrinated to view him as a conservative? The fact is, the media and the political establishment must present an illusion of choice to the American people. They must maintain that there are substantive differences between the Republicans and the Democrats. So Reagan and all those who have followed in his footsteps must be presented as the conservative alternative to the liberals and the progressives, though they are but two wings of the same political bird.
And thus we have in our day a Donald Trump presented as the conservative alternative to a Hillary Clinton, when in fact, they are very little different.
In his 1968 campaign for the Presidency Governor George Wallace said: “There's not a dime's worth of difference between the Republicans and Democrats.” It’s certainly not gotten any better, but the sheeple must be given that illusion of choice, otherwise they might stop being mesmerized by the political games and become more difficult to control.
So the “conservative” sheeple continue to exalt Reagan as the consummate conservative because they are told that he was such, as it serves the purposes of our masters in the District of Corruption.
But Ronald Reagan was not a conservative.
Some of the Reasons Ronald Reagan Was NOT a Conservative:
1. He raised taxes multiple times during his presidency. (Eleven times in eight years)
2. He almost tripled the national debt.
3. He greatly expanded the Federal government, including the Departments of Energy and the Departments of Education, both of which he had promised to eliminate. He also added even more, including the boondoggle called the Department of Veteran’s Affairs.
4. He greatly increased the size of the military and the associated military industrial complex. He sent Marines into Lebanon where 241 were killed in a suicide truck bombing (at least two them were old friends with whom I had served). He ordered the invasion of Grenada without a Declaration of War. Wouldn’t a conservative know what the Constitution requires? Wouldn’t a conservative care?
5. He escalated the so-called war on drugs, which turned out to be a war on everyone’s individual rights. National prohibition of alcohol had required a Constitutional Amendment. Why wouldn’t national prohibition of drugs require the same thing? Why wouldn’t a conservative realize that?
6. He granted amnesty to over 3 million illegal aliens. I know, it was sold as a one-time deal, after which everything be set in order and resolved. We are enjoying the benefits of that resolution today.
7. He oversaw the illegal Iran-Contra Affair that reeked of being a CIA operation and was no doubt directly overseen by his VP, the old CIA Chief, George H. W. Bush.
8. He funded, and essentially created Osama Bin Laden and the Islamic resistance to Russia, which eventually became the Islamic resistance to the US by its various names: Taliban, Al-Qaida, ISIS, etc.
9. He signed into law the “Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986,” which banned the ownership of automatic firearms not purchased prior to 1986. This is why automatic weapons are cost prohibitive, even if one possesses a Class III firearms license.
10. Though he occasionally mouthed opposition to abortion on demand he actually did next to nothing to bring about its end. Pretty much like the entire Republican Party.
11. He referred to his party as “The Party of Lincoln” which is an indisputable fact. It is also indisputable that the party and its members are NOT and never have been genuine conservatives. In his 1981 inaugural address he said: “Whoever would understand in his heart the meaning of America will find it in the life of Abraham Lincoln.” There is a great deal of truth in those words, for it was Lincoln that destroyed the republic of the “founders” and turned America into a vast immoral empire. Lincoln completely overturned the principle of government at the consent of the governed, forcing the Southern States back into the union at the point of a bayonet. I don’t think that’s what Reagan intended for us to “understand”, however.
Whether Reagan was a useful idiot or consummate actor, I cannot say, but in essence he oversaw the first eight years of a twelve year presidency of the neo-con, one-worlder, and insider, George H. W. Bush.
I voted for Ronald Reagan both of the times he ran. I even voted for George H. W. Bush the first time he ran. I’m not proud of that, but I was one of those brainwashed sheeple. By the second time George H. W. Bush ran, I had begun to see more clearly, I voted for third party candidate Bo Gritz and since that time I have never voted for a major party candidate in a general election. More often than not, I have written in Jefferson Davis.
This year I will not vote at all, I have come to the conclusion that voting implies my consent and implies my acceptance of the ultimate result. I have withdrawn my consent. I refuse to be implicated in the results of the election. I doubt that I will ever vote again, especially in national elections.